At a Glance
Khulna Shipyard Limited (KSY) is an independent Government commercial enterprise under Ministry of Defense, Government of Bangladesh, operated by Bangladesh Navy. The Shipyard works directly under the Naval Head Quarter.
KSY with over five decades of reputation has been leading the Bangladesh Shipbuilding industry and had built a wide spectrum of ships conforming to rules and regulations of leading international classification societies. By making investments in fostering talent and upgrading its technologies and facilities, the company is making vigorous efforts for becoming a leader.
KSY over the years has been developed into a leading ship building and repair organization. It also undertakes marine services as well as manufacturing of engineering items in order to support country's industry including power sector.
Skills, expertise and experiences gained over more than 50 years of ship design and construction will certainly ensure the continuity of our traditional quality and craftsmanship. Its purpose is to help the customers in their maritime operations through the effective repair/maintenance boats and vessels.
This is achieved by the development and construction of functional vessels, which we carry out in continuous consultation with maritime operators. These ships are specially designed and built to meet the operational and commercial needs of our present and future customers.
In our striving for effective business development, we consider continuity in the relationship with both our customers and our suppliers is of the basic importance. Satisfied customers are fundamental to our success. Consequently, the multi-skilled work force and professional management are always dedicated to the supply of the best possible quality vessels and services.
Khulna Shipyard Ltd is located on 68.97 acres of land at Labanchara, Khulna, Bangladesh on the bank of river Qazi Bacha, branch of the Rupsha. It is about 45 km north from Mongla Sea Port. It is well connected by Air, Bus, Train and River routes to all the major cities of Bangladesh.
Historical Background of KSY
KSY is about 56 years old. The construction works of KSY started in 1954 under supervision of the East Pakistan Industrial Development Corporation (EPIDC) with the technical support of M/s. Stulcken Sohn, West Germany provided the design for the construction of the yard facilities.
After completion of works, It was commissioned on 27th November 1957, with the objective to build and repair ships of various clients, for defense, coast guard, oil company, ports, BIWTC, BIWTA etc and manufacture engineering parts to support other industries.
M/s. Burness Corleft and Partner, UK and M/s. Maienform SA, Swiss administratively and technically managed the company up to 1967. Afterwards the control was vested with its own expert engineers both technically and administratively.
At last Bangladesh Navy took over the responsibilities of KSY since 09 May, 1999, although, the enterprise was ceremonially handed over by the honourable Prime Minister of the People Republic of Bangladesh on 03 October 1999.
The shipyard commenced ship repair operations in the year 1957 and has undertaken repairs of all types of vessels including up gradation of ships of private company as well as periodical lay up repairs and life extension of ships of Navy, Coast Guard, Fisheries etc. The yard has, over the years, developed adequate capabilities to handle complex and sophisticated repair jobs.
Besides these, many heavy duty spares for different industries have also been made by this organization. It's versatile dock facilities can accommodate a good no. of ships at a time for repair or new building.